How to Maintain Oral Hygiene During Fasting?
Oral hygiene during fast is very important and one of the major reasons is bad breath! As the tongue keeps getting coated the breath keeps getting worse. And, because there is a build up coat of bacteria on the tongue, the mouth might experience a very bad taste. In order to rid from all these, it is advisable to follow a few steps that will help to eliminate bad breath during fasting.
Tips for Oral Hygiene:
Follow these simple to tips to maintain good oral hygiene during your fast.
- Bacteria causes bad breath. So kill it by brushing at least twice a day. And, in general make sure that you floss your teeth at least once in a day. Even an oral rinse can be quite effective.
- Mouthwash, breath mints and sprays or even gums are only effective for shorter periods of time but they do not resolve it.
- Use a tongue scraper or a cleaner to get rid of the white residue that coats on the tongue. This is often the culprit for bad breath. A tongue scraper or a cleaner can be purchased at any drugstore.
- If your fast includes anything to do with fish or milk, brush immediately after eating it. Fish and milk contain proteins and when they are being broken down in the mouth, it leads to bad breath.
- Dry mouth can lead to bad breath. Avoid having dry mouth. Drink plenty of water.
- Before going to bed, use an antiseptic solution to clean your dentures. This will help in keeping the bad breath at bay.
- At times, not just fasting but even a gum disease or any other dental problem can contribute for bad breath. Make sure that you visit your dentist.
Oral hygiene is important not only during fasting but also in your day-to-day life. Follow these simple tips to have a clean and smell free mouth.